First of all I have to say it is a very useful forum which has helped me a lot with my Jet problems.
Recently I bought a S8000 Jet (I am from Spain and my FW version is S8000 + BA +II2) and begun to have battery problems. I thought the problem could be the short duration of the first 3-4 charges, but a week past and the same problem was there, my battery only last about 24-30 hrs (sometimes even less :'(). So, I started surfing the web searching for an answer about this battery problem. It could be a problem with my device, but maybe some other people have had the same problem.
After reading a lot in loads of forums I reached DFG and begun reading all the entries about battery drain. At that time some ideas were pounding on my mind. The problem could be solved with some of these approaches:
- Re-Flashing the FW to a newest version.
- Disabling the GPS completely (it seemed to be on in some cases).
- Watching carefully if any of the buttons was partially pressed down due to a bad case (or any other reason). Someone reported battery drain problems due to this fact.
- Returning the Jet to the shop in order to get it repaired.
- Throwing it away and buying a new one.
Because I have a 15 days testing time (I can return the device to the shop in this period and ask for a new one if I am dissatisfied with the phone) I didn't wat to re-flash. I tried disabling the GPS but my FW version doesn't have any of the so called menus:Menu -> Settings -> Phone Settings -> Navigation
Menu -> Settings -> Phone Settings -> GPS Settings -> GPS+ Settings -> Auto download
So I tried a different approach, I entered into the Admin settings menu using the following codes:1) Enter Admin setting menu *#5239870*#
2) Enter Internal menu Master key *#7092463*#
Once I was there I look for the LBS tab and disabled the GPS. It seemed that this didn't affect the battery life at all, so I re-enabled it. I was surprised when a new icon (Navigation) appeared on the menu screen. It wasn't there before. So I disabled GPS again.
At the same time I begun to suspect if the leather
cover which came with the phone could be pressing any of the buttons.
I started a test making measures of the battery % from time to time and writing them down on a Excel datasheet. I used the code *#0228# to read the battery values.
I was amazed because the time was passing and... the battery seemed to be working perfectly! :yahoo:
More than 24hrs have went by and still 5 bars of battery (the last measure throw 71%)
I have made and algorithm to estimate the probable duration and it could be 3.5 days aprox.
I'm not sure if the second time I disabled GPS it got really disabled or if the problem is something pressing any of the buttons, but I will try out using the cover again and looking for battery drain to discover which one fits my case.
I will post my progressions here because they could help someone.
P.D. Forgive me for the long post